Wednesday 18 May 2016

Abergavenny Castle and Museum


Abergavenny Castle is a ruined castle in the market town of Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales, established by the Norman lord Hamelin de Ballon in about 1087. It was the site of a massacre of Welsh noblemen in 1175, and was attacked during the early 15th century Glyndŵr Rising. William Camden, the 16th century antiquary, said that the castle "has been oftner stain'd with the infamy of treachery, than any other castle in Wales.”



During the English Civil War, as the Roundheads neared the castle, Charles I ordered a slighting of the castle to prevent its useful occupation. Most of the castle buildings, including the stone keep, were destroyed.



It has been a Grade I listed building since 1952.



Where the keep would have been is now a building housing a museum which includes a shop from the middle of the twentieth century and a kitchen from earlier days.








4 comments:

  1. That area of the world has the most interesting and charming names and a rather rough and tumble history. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to browse that shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I presume that I must have visited the castle although I cannot for the life of me recall it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruins always fascinate and sadden me.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive