Sunday 5 October 2014

Scottish Holiday – Day Nine - Thursday



Inveraray from the opposite side of the Loch.



We went up a super single track road and over the hilltops through Argyll Forest Park.


Now there is a useful field if you were trying to get to sleep – One, Two, Three, Four…  (Do countries other than the UK have the tradition that counting sheep is a way of going to sleep?).



At Lochgoilhead we passed a number of unusual wooden houses with roofs of some sort of crinkly tin.


 
We went down the side of Loch Goil and then alongside Loch Long to Blairmore where we studied the birds like this Shag.



Eider Ducks.

 

Grey Heron.


Immature Herring Gulls star-fish fishing.


A traditional phone box at Blairmore with Greenock lighthouse on the far shore



And the traditional pillar box.  Note the absence of the Royal Cipher for Queen Elizabeth II.  There was no Queen Elizabeth I of Scotland so the Elizabethan cipher was left off Scottish boxes.


Another Post Office has bitten the dust. 


Partner-who-loves-tea is off to investigate the pier.  She loves piers.


This one has recently been restored by public subscription and there are memorial plaques on it. 



I tried to catch this chap casting but I missed!


We spotted some Red Deer near Dunoon.



 

The Ferry comes into Dunoon.


 Greenock Lighthouse.


Oystercatchers at Dunoon.


This is Dunselma Castle – it is for sale – any offers?  Built in 1885-1886, as a sailing lodge for wealthy 19th century industrialist, James Coates, Dunselma Castle is deliberately prominent to flaunt the conspicuous wealth of its owner. Standing above Strone point, it also enjoys fantastic views of Loch Long, the Holy Loch and the Firth of Clyde.




Loch Eck.



 The woods have some lovely mosses and ferns.



And back to Inveraray.

11 comments:

  1. Amazing landscapes. Love the Dunselma Castle, from its style to location. The Scottish landscapes are very unique and memorable, and even on grey days the scenery comes to life.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if I will ever make it to Scotland. So thank you for this, makes me feel like I've visited.
    That Red deer looks so big, looks so much bigger than the white tailed deer that I know here, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your picture of a grey heron looks exactly like what we have here: only, here, we call them blue herons. Well the males do have some blue feathers, but the females are exactly like the one in your picture..

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good set John, it's an area I know from the sea but not from the land. I did stop at Dunoon once and wasn't impressed. Perhaps the area is worth another look now the Americans have gone. You make it look attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, these photos sharpen my homesickness for Scotland!!! Gorgeous stuff, thanks for sharing! I hope this post means you're feeling better...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fabulous photos! The isolated castle reminds me of the one used to film "Monarch of the Glen."

    Regarding the metal roofs: they're fairly common in the Western United States, particularly at higher elevations where snow is frequent in winter, because the combination of the smooth surface and the steep slope makes the snow slide off so the roof doesn't collapse. Over here, they're called "standing seam metal roofs." Not the most beautiful solution -- but practical!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a feeling that I saw a really interesting programme on the attempted or actual restoration of Dunselma Castle a couple of years ago but then again perhaps not. I must try and investigate. Gourock to Dunoon ferry....interesting days gone by....they seem so long ago. All these reminders in your holiday posts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved ALL of these pictures. A wonderful spot to live I think. The strange houses remind me of Norway with their strrp sloping roofs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, in Germany, people count sheep, too, when they can't sleep. Actually, what helps me on those very rare occasions when I can not sleep is to follow a path or road I know well, conjuring up every corner and curve and the landmarks along the way, for instance the way from my parents' allotment to my favourite spot in the woods.

    Great pictures! The wooden houses look more like something you'd expect to see in North America or Canada, I think. Touching, somehow, to see the memorial plaque to the postmistress and then the closed post office. Interesting bit about the pillar box not bearing the royal cipher.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed all your Scottish posts. Looks like you had a good holiday. Not commenting on everyone individually as my. Computer is being fixed. I think that post mistress was featured on a T V programme not too long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely scenery and lots of interesting titbits of information that I never knew before.....thank you for sharing.
    Most of our roofs on the island are corrugated aluminum with zinc which last a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive