Sunday 23 February 2014

What a smile can do!



We are often out (or I am in bed) when the electricity and gas meter readers call.  They leave a little card and we take the reading and leave it in the window.

This week the card was a bit different.  It had a smiley face on it.   



It’s amazing the difference that made.  Instead of cursing that I had to move the washing machine, behind which the electricity meter is crammed, my face lit up and I went to show Jo the card.  What a difference a little smiley face made.  

We put the reading in the window and when we came back from being out the next day we found this little slip had been put through the letterbox.
 


Sadly I haven’t been able to find out how to contact the local G4S to say how good we thought it was and that the meter reader (assuming it was done on his or her own initiative) deserved a bonus!

I too used a smiley face this week and was suitably rewarded.  It related to my postcard swapping activities.

When postcards come from some countries they are hand-stamped by their post offices. When this happens the stamp (or frank as it is more properly known) is usually placed in such a way that the stamps are not overly covered with inky waves.  Also, because the postcard doesn’t go through a machine it is not damaged.




But when the franking is done by a machine all too often the pretty stamps are totally obliterated.



And the card itself is scraped, covered in inky marks or otherwise damaged.  




 


The other day I decided to put all the cards I had to send that day into a plastic cover and on top I put a yellow sticky asking if the cards could be hand stamped if possible and added a smiley face.  I addressed one of the cards to myself to see what happened.  This was the result. An undamaged card and a pleasant frank.


Thank you Post Office.  In future I shall do this each time.


What a difference a smile can make.

17 comments:

  1. This was a wonderful Sunday morning read for me, John, and I am sure I am not the only one who was smiling while reading this and will keep smiling for quite a while :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to say that a few years ago, they have started to give us the possibility to type our gas and leccy meter readings in an online form. No cards, no appointments, but also no smileys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The power of the smile knows no limits. Although I suppose if one is not careful one could get a slapped face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but GB - that's the difference between a smile and a leer! :) xoxo

      Delete
  4. Asking with a smile, and being grateful when your request is honored, are usually sure-fire ways to get things you want, or something done the way you want. There's a reason "please" and "thank you" are called the magic words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I'm impressed. Actually I think the wording on the printed card is very politely worded in itself, compared to similar messages I've seen here!
    I have the same problem with postcards received - and, obviously, also my outgoing ones! Back in the good old days when we still had proper post offices, I think it was possible to hand letters in over the counter and ask to have them hand stamped. Nowadays I doubt they hand stamp anything... No letters are stamped locally in my town any more, anything we post here goes to Gothenburg to be sorted and stamped.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great. I'm surprised that smart meters don't send the reading back automatically.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A smiley face - different and worthwhile it seems. Like the post card with the Cheshire cat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right. Let a smile be your umbrella! I take calls all day for a utility company and we are only too happy to pass on customer compliments. I had a caller call one day to tell me our gas tech saw people standing outside in the rain on a nasty day and brought them umbrellas and candy bars. She was eager to call and ask me to make sure something nice was put in his file. Don't you love passing things like that on?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. I will have to try putting a note with a smiley face request on my cards.

    Our electric/gas meters are on the outside of our house so it makes it easy for the meter readers to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A smile can brighten any day....it worked for you.
    I love your gas meter reader's sunny outlook....that is so sweet. More folks should take a page out of his/her book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How uplifting-it makes a difference when the spirit is generous! How are you? Did you ever get my card? I hope the sun is shining in your world and you are collecting more smiley faces :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling quite reasonable at the moment, thanks Ella. I haven't had your card yet but they can be a bit slow across the Atlantic

      Delete
  12. Good idea! By the way I had a christmas card I sent to you returned to me today by the post office, seems I put the wrong address on it. A bit peeved as you must be one of their best customers, and they surely know you better than anyone else! Oh well. It was only an ordinary Christmas card, nohing specially unusual. I remember one year I sent you a rather nice one of a smiling dog dressed as Father Christmas, a proper postcard too. I will try harder next Christmas! :)
    and there's a smiley face for you... .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks any way - So long as you hadn't crossed me off your Christmas card list - that's what matters!

      Delete
  13. Thank you, Scriptor. I'm cheered up.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive