Sunday 30 January 2011

Dombey And Son


I've just finished Dombey and Son - probably my favourite Dickens yet. I'm delighted that Helen re-introduced me to Dickens a few years ago. Having tried a couple when I was young I was not enamoured of him but having read quite a few in recent years I love his style and, of course, he fits in well with my mid-nineteenth century leanings of the moment.



I was quite amused by the Phiz illustrations of Dombey and Son. I love his works at the best of times but was particulalry amused by the fact that Captain Cuttle's hook accidentally swaps over from his left hand to his right hand on occasion.



2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to remember whether I've read this one in the past, or seen some TV version of it. The pictures do seem vaguely familiar, including that hook...

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive