Friday 2 April 2010

Recovery Items

A little list of things that have helped liven up my recovery....

Good Wishes – from so many people by so many means – cards, letters, e-mails, blog comments, texts, phone calls (to Jo – I’m allergic to the telephone!!!)

Sweeties – which came from various sources including over the Pennines and even over the Atlantic. When you are doing little all day eating becomes more important – even if it’s only tiny bits at first. As a result one’s sense of taste is improved (it goes really weird immediately after the op.).

Crosswords – I was amazed at how hard these became during the early days. Even the most obvious answers became difficult. I think this was the thing which above all made me realise how much the system closes down to cope with trauma.

Books – again from lots of sources. I squirreled away a load for my twelve week (potential) recovery and have also received some from friends. I found it hard to concentrate the first couple of weeks but am now getting into my reading swing again and it’s great to have such a selection. Bryony has already introduced me to 2 new authors - Note to self: must get some book blogs done!

Questions about identifying wildlife – once I got back on the computer it was great to have queries from Helen again (even if I got the answers wrong!!)

Backed-up copies of the Sunday morning show ‘Something for the Weekend”.

Occasional soccer matches on television – easy watching that, in many cases, you can fall asleep during them.

Classic FM radio – an effortless background to snoozing.

CDs – a few selected ones including a great Mandolin one from Mark.

Having meals cooked for me by Richard and Jo. Even breakfast in bed every day – thanks Jo.

Recordings of 1970s Formula One seasons. Those were the days of real F1 racing and brilliant cars. The cars slid around on the track; there was overtaking, and even the engine sounds were better. Thank you to ESPN Classic for screening them.

And, yes, I know I’m repeating myself but it needs emphasising:-
Good Wishes – from so many people by so many means – cards, letters, e-mails, blog comments, texts, phone calls...

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful list...and, I never thought about being allergic to the telephone (I think I've found my new reasoning - so thank you very much).

    Friends often get annoyed with me because I don't like to talk on the telephone {{sigh}} but that's just me, the way I am...I do try sometimes for them :)

    I'm so happy that you're recovering well and happily ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, CJ, I can feel the improvement every few days or so. Keep it up. We'll be doing crosswords in The Woodlands before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to hear your doing so well !
    You've come along nicely, as far as the breakfast in bed, don't get used to it ;)
    Glad to read you've been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great to hear that you're improving every day. Keep up the good work! :0)
    Canadian Chickadee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see you back to rambling... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear the Mandolin CD went down well!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive