Thursday 4 February 2010

Th - anks Rae

Phoenetics

I don’t know my way around phoentics. So when it comes to doing my word blog I have great difficulty showing how you pronounce things (that’s assuming I know in the first place!).

However, thanks to Rae, I did learn a bit about

and

The first is the symbol for the  th sound in words like thanks and pith. The second is the th in mother. Go read her post – it’s well worth it.

And then, if you want to see the whole International Phoenetic Alphabet visit the site on Wikipedia.


6 comments:

  1. Well, if you're willing to admit you are open to learning new things, so am I. So I will go to the link and see the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminded again (I read Rae's post before) about the hours in the phonetics lab at the University...

    I take it your library does not contain Everyman's English Pronouncing Dictionary, then?

    As dictionary this little book is rather annoying in some ways because it gives ONLY the pronounciation, and not the meaning of words.

    The advantage however is that it also includes the pronounciation of proper names (like Llewellyn or Exeter or Arkansas).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first "th' ie in "with" is "whispered" or "soft", the larynx is not engaged. The second, as in "mother" the larynx is engaged or "hard" - like a "p" ("soft") and "b" ("hard")

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, of course the big O would stand for th, right?
    I will absolutely check it out. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Monica - that sounds like a book for my Amazon wishlist! (hint, hint, Jo)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is all a bit complicated. I thought that I had the English language mastered.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive