Thursday 18 February 2010

Friday My Town Shoot-out – Town Plazas

This week's subject for the Friday My Town Shoot-out is town plazas - chosen by Redlan (Rod Gelarde) .


Liverpool has a number of places that fit Rod’s definition of a town plaza –

Plaza is a Spanish word related to "field" which describes an open urban public space, such as a city square. It’s the space where a large crowd gathers during public occasions or crisis. The plaza remains a center of community life that is only equaled by the market-place. In modern usage, a plaza can be any gathering place on a street or between buildings, a street intersection with a statue. It’s a center of a town/city or a certain place.


The main gathering place for outdoor events and celebrations in Liverpool’s city centre is the Plateau outside St George’s Hall. When Liverpool FC brought the F A Cup home in 1965 tens of thousands of people lined the route that their open-topped bus took around town and an estimated seventy thousand spread out from St George’s plateau all around the city centre to the Town Hall.

 
 

This was the celebration of the return of some Liverpool troops from Afghanistan.


Major events on the plateau often involve the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress.


And there are usually bobbies on hand to make sure everything goes alright.


This winter the plateau even played host to a penguin!

If you would like to see other members' shoot-outs please go to the link page.

To learn more about the Friday My Town Shoot-out why not pay a visit to the
home blog.


22 comments:

  1. Do they have a Beatles' day?

    I love this old buildings by the Plaza. Reminds me of The Romn's influence of England, and my son's favourites comics. Asterix und Oblelix

    The British drinking cups of hot water.

    Because they were favourites of Sam's, I read them all as well.

    Did you read them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Ann, I used to love the humour in the Asterix books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love that colorful penguin against all of the grey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos (and more education!)
    ;^)
    I really like the bobbies on the horses...except now that I've said that, it reminds me (from the song) that they are supposed to be "bobbies on bicycles, two by two...)
    ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This building remind me of our old Supreme Court where we used to have the yearly National Day celebrations, the road opposite would be closed to traffic and celebrations extended to the big field in front it. Nowadays the area is very quiet, with the building undergoing refurbished to convert into a museum. Love these old colonial buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for doing the Superlambbananas - I do love them...

    John, Saz has taken her blog down temporarily while she is dealing with a situation chez elle - She is calm and confidently dealing with things, but it is an awful position to be in... I shall keep in touch, would you mind, John, e-mailing me (angelwild18@hotmail.com)your e-mail address, so I can keep you informed, as I know she wishes me to let people know entre nous in our 'private circle' what is happening... Sorry I haven't been here in a while, Sir, work and all that get in the way of enjoying myself really... xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. You obviously missed Wednesday's posting , Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. John those building to look so roman and the street 'pedras' could come right out of Brasil.... so interesting our differences and our sameness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos and also for me more education, which I love.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Plazas are so much more interesting when they're full of people having a good time.
    Bon Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very impressive buildings I'd have to travel quite a long way to find anything quite so impressive in Canada.

    My post, for example, is on our latest shopping mall.

    Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your plaza is huge! You can almost feel the history in those buildings!
    Love the penguins!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love my town to have a plaza. Amazing snaps!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow what a beautiful place!! Somehow I had a picture of Liverpool that was different....it is so open!! LOL we Americans..clueless!! Wonderful shootout! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed your post and seeing the various events. Nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the colorful penguin. I've always wanted to visit a real town plaza/square, thanks for giving me a sneak peek :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. A truly grand plaza! Worthy of the Lord Mayor and his fine robes (and his fine lady, too!) Love the bobbies on horseback but thought the bobbies on a bike were better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was Wednesday's post, Scriptor, with the fabulous bobbies. Secretly I always wanted to be a bobbie (those helmets!) But wrong country, wrong gender. Or perhaps you have female bobbies now? I would prefer to be on horseback rather on bicycle.

    I enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes Kerry - we do have female police. They don't wear helmets as a rule though one of the two on horseback is a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all your photos. Each represents the different events held in the plaza. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello, oh this is the place I wanted to put out for my shoot out, but I ended up with the Chinese archway! A sort of meeting place as such for me anyway! What wonderful photographs, one of my favourite places to go!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive