Friday 23 October 2009

Friday My Town Shoot-out – Classics from Childhood

This week's subject for the Friday My Town Shoot-out is Classics from Childhood - chosen by Elisa from Michigan. Why not visit her page and see what she chose to show us.


One of the classics of my childhood was Meccano. Uncle Eric worked for them in their earliest days and is shown here on a advertising poster of theirs.


Little figures – especially ‘cowboys and indians’ – constituted a great part of my childhood and this one was found beneath the floorboards when my Mum and Dad moved house. I had shoved it down a knot-hole in the floor in the days before we had wall to wall carpeting.


These marbles were down the same hole. Unlike the cowboy the marbles went down accidentally.



Apart from my little figures the great love of my childhood was my collection of cars – mainly Matchbox series and Dinky cars.


Even in the days when I still played with little figures and farm animals I had started taking photos.


This is GB (photographed by Dad) with a glove puppet made by a neighbour. I also had one – to which I told all my secrets in bed at night.


And going to the match was a great part of my youth.


This cushion cover made by my Grandmother is a classic not just because of its age but because some of the individual scraps of material remind me of the furnishings or clothes from which they were scraps. (Most furnishings and clothes being made at home in those days.)


And when we were young the winters were colder, the summers were warmer, blah, de blah, de blah...

If you would like to see other members' shoot-outs please go to the home blog and visit the members in the sidebar.

 

19 comments:

  1. Oh no, your plumbing froze; good thing you have that nice warm cushion to help you stay warm. I like these shots from the past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post. What great memories. The cushion cover is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My younger son was so crazy over Mecano! He's still keeping them at home, despite being already 21 years old this December. And marbles, he's still having them, except I'm using them as a filler for my vase! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun to have shared just a tiny bit in your childhood, John :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos bring back so many memories. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "One of the classics of my childhood was Meccano." ... yes indeed CJ, I have fond memories too of this great inventive, creative construction set.

    EJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I'm not the only one who still plays with their toys. My brothers too had hundreds of plastic soldiers, and "erector set" very much like your Meccano, whose parts got all over the house.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing those old toys. Great idea...we still have my husbands cowboys and Indians too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that quilt is called a "Crazy Quilt", seriously. The other items were memory makers, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cushion made by your grandmother is amazing! Our grandparents had no choice but to be good at making things. My grandmother could knit a jumper without a pattern. I still have some of the dolls clothes that she knitted for my dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are wonderful memories of childhood. I'm so glad you were able to get some of them back out the knothole. I wouldn't have been happy if my best toys disappeared on me like that. At least you knew where they were. Sounds like growing up was fun at your place, Scriptor Senex. Thanks for the very neat post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for including a Dinky car. My brother always had them and I loved them almost as much as he did. Super post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great memories. wonderful covering.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember those dinky toys. From memory they hurt when you stand on them. My brothers always seemed to leave at least one on the floor. Love that cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rob absolutely loved his Meccano set! He says it's probably one reason he went into engineering. It's fun to know that your uncle is the model on their brochures. Rob probably had them tacked up on his wall, without realising that one day, he would be acquainted with the model's nephew. Small world!
    The Canadian Chickadee

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shots for your past! Love the "blah de blah" part. As a mom, I already find myself telling my kids "When I was your age...."

    Thanks for playing this week ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely love your post. My little guy plays with plastic soldiers - I love toys that force you to use your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Scriptor, I just knew you'd have some good stuff for this one!

    You did not disappoint! I was laughing out loud about the figure that was jammed down the knothole, with marbles for accidental company!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think the reason summers were warmer and winters were colder is because our senses were heightened by the newness of everything, the excitement of possibility, the chilhoodness of everything!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive