Wednesday 17 June 2009

Not Rambling Far


In response to Adrian's comment yesterday - "Yes, it does rain here sometimes". But the weather changes so quickly that even on bad days there is the chance of some lovely skyscapes. And Tuesday began once more with the shine of promise. Red sky in the morning is supposed to presage a bad day but the sight as the red turned to gold at 4.35 a.m. would have made it worth while for me.



Prior to the sun coming over the horizon the sky was red in every direction. The clouds didn't have silver linings they had pink ones. Then during the minute or so that the sun topped the hill behind Upper Bayble everything turned instead to gold and silver.


Then the clouds thickened and I could see rain showers working their way down the Minch. (The Minch is the channel of the Atlantic that separates the Outer Hebrides from mainland Scotland.)


As the clouds thinned again parches of sunlight shimmered on the surface of the water.


The mountains of the mainland are 60 kilometres and more from GB’s. But they were as crisp and clear this morning as I have ever seen them.

Sadly, Tuesday was the day that Brother-who-blogs left for the mainland for hospital treatment leaving me to enjoy the Island on my own. I have plenty to keep me amused but shall miss him on weekdays while he's away. I can draw consolation from the fact that the treatment will be successful - that's an order!! - and that he'll be home at the weekends.


After the cloudy start to the day the sky cleared and it developed into another scorcher. I spent an hour and a half on the phone to Partner-who-loves-tea, putting the world to rights; though, sadly, not putting her computer issues right. I then did some weeding in the garden. The midges drove me in for a while and I made some cornflake crunch. I had intended to try making Florentines but thought I'd better find my way round GB's kitchen before experimenting and I can make cornflake crunch with my eyes closed (well almost).


A book, some nibbles, a seat in the sunshine, a midge free hour, and a view to die for - what more could one want?


 

6 comments:

  1. A bit of a shower over the Minch doesn't count, we need to see wall to horizon rain, not that we'd see the horizon. Just to make me feel better breath on the lens prior to your next post. Have you a book to recommend on Lichens. We just get the bits on rocks not those triffids you found. All the best from insomniacs inc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos, as well as the dialogue explaining the whole process...very nice. Wishing your same wishes for GB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great series of different skies. Britain is so beautiful, as lovely as anywhere in the world...
    I hope you enjoyed your cornflake crispy cakes!
    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Brother.

    In answer to your last question: To be there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a cruel man, Adrain! We got the wall to wall rain this morning. Mind you, the garden needed it.
    Lichens are quite hard to identify and there are a few thousand British species - many of them similar. But for a fairly simple guide you can't do better than the Observer's Book of Lichens by
    K.A.Kershaw and K.L.Alvin. It's ouy of print but plenty of copies on the web at about £5 plus postage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The colours in those high latitudes are great; I was in West Argyllshire in midsummer 1969, after the sun set the sky and the sea merged into one colour -- no visible horizon, the Paps of Jura seeming suspended in air. Must look out those old Kadachromes some time. Thanks for these.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive