Wednesday 28 January 2009

Lucian Freud


Do you have to like a painting to think it exceptionally good? Do you have to like a painting to consider hanging it on your wall? You might think the obvious answer was “Yes”. But I’m beginning to doubt that. I find the works of Lucian Freud fascinating and I could look at his characters for hours but do I like them? I’m not sure?


This (entitled Girl in Bed) is Caroline – Lucian’s 17 year old mistress who was later, briefly, to become his wife when his first wife, Kitty, divorced him for adultery. I think it is cleverly done and I might even hang it on my wall - but I'm not sure I like it that much. Strange!

Most of his paintings do not name the subject.
 

3 comments:

  1. Hmm. Not my cup of tea to be honest. 'Do you have to like a painting to think it exceptionally good?' I don't think so. I can admire something and think it has exceptional qualities, possibly even enjoy looking at it whilst I'm analysing it but I may detest it nonetheless. 'Do you have to like a painting to consider hanging it on your wall?' That is a more subjective and personal question. My answer, for me, is in the affirmative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was something pretty peculiar, albeit interesting about Freud's portraits...

    Didn't he also paint nude, with a studio in chaos - Note to self...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know he painted in the nude - must have had a warm studio!

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive