Wednesday 17 December 2008

Family tree decorations






These are our ‘family’ tree decorations. When our first son, David, was born, Jo and I bought him his own Christmas tree decoration. He didn’t live to see his second Christmas but every Christmas since then we have made a special point of putting his decoration on the tree together.

Once Richard was old enough to appreciate it we gave him his own decoration and also chose one for each of us that would be our special ones. The three of us would put ours and David’s on together. Usually at the end of the tree decorating process which Richard used to do with me when he was younger.

Then we have one each for Bryony and Helen, Mum and Dad and GB (who were with us for Christmas each year for many years). Mum and Dad have since died but we continue to put theirs on each year as part of the last few decorations to be added to the tree. GB’s also goes on though he is miles away in New Zealand and is enjoying Christmas in the summer sun. Now that Bryony and Helen have partners they too have their own decorations.

7 comments:

  1. What a lovely family tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad to read about your son. I like that you put his decoration on together. I love family traditions that are so personal and different from every other family, yet similar in the love that goes into them. Thank you for sharing yours, and including the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my own decoration? Cool!

    I can read names on some of them in the photos but couldn't work out which one was mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a very nice idea, and a wonderful way to gently remember people no longer with us at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mark - yours is the one sitting on top, next to Jo's - the deep green and white one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a family ornament tradition here, too. My children get new ornaments every year, ornaments they'll hopefully treasure into their dotage. Then they'll think back to their parents and appreciate all we did for them. What a lovely dream! Don't wake me ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't shatter anyone's illusions intentionally - I let the children do that! And yes, there is as a Santa Claus...

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive