Thursday 18 December 2008

Christmas Gravy


The Bisto Kids were created in 1919 by cartoonist Wilf Owen, just 11 years after the meat-flavoured gravy powder Bisto came onto the market. I think the adverts that mentioned it ‘browns, seasons and thickens, all in one go’ disappeared a while ago but I may be wrong. I don’t watch much ITV so I don’t know if anyone still goes ‘Ah, Bisto!’ on the television adverts at all. But on Christmas Day – when we have ‘proper’ gravy - I shall point out to whoever is in the room that I have just learned how Bisto got its name. It seems it was an acronym for Browns Seasons Thickens in One.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive