Sunday 16 March 2008

Cheltenham Gold Cup

 

I got the 1st, 2nd and 3rd in my forecast for the Cheltenham Gold Cup on Friday but didn’t back anything because the odds on Denman were low and I don’t bet when the odds are so poor or when I’m hard up (a bit of a puritan streak that I introduced to myself when at college).


It was delightful seeing Denman, the second favourite beat Kauto Star, the favourite, while their stable-mate, the grey Neptune Collonges (25-1), earned a very well deserved third place The battle between Denman and Kauto Star was a much anticipated one like that of Arkle versus Mill House in the 1964 Gold Cup and Red Rum against Crisp in the 1973 Grand National.


Neptune Collonges led off and was never out of the top three. He is seen here leading Denman on the first circuit.


Four furlongs out.


This was the third favourite with his ear protectors which looked more like an Ipod – appropriate for a horse called Exotic Dancer!


As a treat, to compensate for not having a bet, I asked Beryl at the Co-op to give me five Lottery Lucky Dips instead. I won ten pounds! Denman was 9-4 so I would have done slightly better putting my money on the horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive