Monday 8 October 2007

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum (Garbage in, garbage out!)
I am currently re-learning Latin. I haven’t studied it for forty years but back in my school days I had the best Latin teacher ever. He was also the very best teacher of anything I ever learned. His name was Albert Wilson and he retired in the early 1970s so either mortuus est or he is heading for ‘oldest living Briton’ title. He made Latin fun which is something not many people can achieve, and yet at the same time was a strong disciplinarian. Such was his success with his pupils that some folk who left school with only two ‘O’ Level GCE’s managed to have Latin as one of them. I particularly appreciated the fact that he was the only one of my teachers who took the trouble to visit me in hospital after a road accident put me there for a month at the age of 16.
If you want some fun Latin quotes to impress your friends you could either buy the book “Latin for all Occasions ” by Henry Beard or visit
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/augustine/arch/omnibus.html
I have to go now - Tintinnuntius meus sonat – there goes my bleeper!
Radicitus, comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello - thanks for dropping by to leave a comment. Your comments are much appreciated even if I don't always reply. They will appear as soon as they have been moderated.

Blog Archive